Richard's Resume & Credentials
Richard Allen Best Jr.
LEED® AP BD+C, AIA
8800 Venice Blvd, Ste 302
Los Angeles, CA 90034
Chief Sustainability Expert
C-Level Sustainability Leadership
Corporate sustainability visioning, culture building, strategic program creation and implementation. Integrated planning to leverage the social, branding, and financial values of sustainability into profit-driven initiatives, operational cost reductions and risk diminution. Homogenous real-time sustainability solutions for short-term business needs and long-term corporate sustainability success.
Case Study 1: Rob B OPI Concept Salon
Working directly with OPI’s C-Level Executives (2007-2011), I brought corporate sustainability to OPI through its new facility – the Rob B OPI Concept Salon. I enhanced OPI Corporation’s international brand identity and increased its market share by differentiating it from its competitors. By aligning OPI with eco-branding, policies and practices, the corporation constructs and operates sustainable facilities - fending-off impending negative corporate image and potential customer loyalty losses stemming from public exposure of the environmental hazards of nail polish manufacturing. This eco-branding alignment and LEED Certification of their facility, spread to OPI’s entire corporate operations and eventually led to sustainable re-formulation of OPI’s nail polish manufacturing to reduce air pollution. OPI’s first-ever retail location – the Rob B OPI Concept Salon is the first LEED Silver Certified Nail Salon in the US.
The OPI Corporation recently sold for $900 million.
Case Study 2: Sam’s Green Paw
In 2008 “Play It To The Bone” sought to grow. Under my guidance, this Los Angeles based company was able to see the business values of sustainability, and decided to adopt sustainability as a core value for their business. Pet grooming and daycare services pose unique working environment challenges to human and pet health – the presence of toxins, allergens and germs are inherent in the services. Working directly with the company ownership I: 1) assessed the existing company policies, procedures, operations and practices; 2) identified potential synergic sustainability choices; 3) formed a sustainability plan/strategy; and 4) directed the implementation of the program through its facilities. This company not only re-organized their operations, services and new facilities in sustainable formats, the company’s new facility will be the first LEED Gold Certified Pet Care & Grooming Facilities in the US. The company’s profits have risen over the past three years – operating as a sustainable company - better-branded, more efficient and healthier.
“Play It To The Bone” changed its name to “Sam’s Green Paw”.
How These Corporations Benefited
· Increased revenues – Positive branding identity & sustainability retail immersion .
· Decreased operating costs – Electrical energy use reductions.
· Increased productivity – Employees work harder when they are proud, healthy and happy.
· Reduced risk - Customer & employee health protection from harmful fumes & allergens.
· CEO & Founder - Richard Best Architect Inc., Los Angeles CA, 1988 to Present – Established, owned, operated and managed a design oriented architecture firm for over 23 years, providing full architectural services on a variety of project types, specializing in sustainable design.
· Project Architect / Project Captain - ELS Architects and WZMH Architects, Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA, 1984 to 1988 – Designed and managed various large-scale commercial projects including Riverside’s Mission Inn Restoration Project.
· Project Designer - Charles W. Moore Architect, Los Angeles CA, 1982 to 1984 - Beverly Hills Civic Center.
· Chairman & Founder - IREO Sustainable Development Commission (UN Member States treaty sanctioned IGO), 2009-present, www.ireoigo.org.
· LEED Accreditation - Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, LEED® AP BD+C, 2010.
· LEED Certifications – Rob B OPI Concept Salon - Silver and Sam’s Green Paw – Gold (pending).
Education & Professional Licenses
· Master of Architecture (Specialization: Urban Design) University of California Los Angeles, Graduate School of Architecture and Urban Planning, 1982.
· Bachelor of Architecture (5yr. Professional) University of North Carolina Charlotte;
· Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, Temple University, 1979 and 1980.
· California and Louisiana State Architect Licenses, 1986 & 1995.
Selected Honors & Awards
· “Best Practices Award”: Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organization (IREO), United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY 2009.
· “Green Buildings of America Award”: Winner, The Real Estate & Construction Review, Southfield Michigan, August 2009.
· “First Place Design Award”: Beverly Hills Civic Center Design Competition, Beverly Hills, California (Entry by Charles Moore) 1983.
· Realtors See Value Of Going Green & Teaching Others, Beverly Hills Courier, Beverly Hills, CA, October 23, 2009, page 17.
· Best Buys Into Abu Dhabi Through Reality TV, Los Angeles Business Journal, Los Angeles, CA, July 20, 2009, page 3.
· Richard A. Best, Jr. - Richard Best Architect, Dream Homes Los Angeles, Panache Partners, Plano, TX, 2008, pages 26-31.
· The Hydra Executives, International Reality Television Show, Winner - Cast member/Contestant - 14 Episode Television Show, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2008-2009.
· When Architecture Meets Pop-Culture, Public Radio Interview/Broadcast, KCRW “DNA - Design and Architecture,” August 18, 2009.
· American Institute of Architects.
· U.S. Green Building Council.
· Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Organization.
· Better Business Bureau.
· English (full fluency), Spanish (partial fluency), Italian (partial fluency).
· Head Coach & Assistant Coach: Beverly Hills AYSO, 2002-2006.
· Italy, Greece, Turkey, England, France, Spain, Norway, Amsterdam, Canada, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar, Haiti.